Sunday, May 4, 2008

Manifesto: Following My Bliss

Wherever you are -- if you are following your bliss, you are enjoying that refreshment, that life within you, all the time. --Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth, pp. 113, 120
when i think about following my bliss out of context (meaning, anytime i talk about joseph campbell to anyone), it feels a bit trite. and applying concepts in comparative mythology and religion to shells and adhesives is, um... silly. however, as a mother, a wife, an assistant in a budding vineyard, a hopeful grad student, a public servant--in other words, a girl who can't say no to an opportunity--i have finally owned up to it:

part of following my bliss is adhering seashells together or applying them to found objects.

this life is good. and its hectic and crazy. so when i sit at my kitchen island with my shells stewn about, my designs in front of me, and my kids next to me asking me to "glue this together, momma" i find myself slowing down. becoming hummingly happy. being there, at that little island and thinking only about what is in front of me--that's meditative. restful. i had given up my island for a while, but i'm back.

the purpose of this blog is to show what i'm working on, what i'm thinking about, and how i'm going about doing it. i can't keep everything i make. i used to sell on ebay, but now i'm experimenting with an etsy storefront. i've also uploaded some on my designs on flickr.com, so check out the widgets. if you see something you like, please comment. if you wish to purchase something or have me make something custom, let me know and i'll post it on etsy.

thanks!

No comments: